The Music department strives to enable all learners to:
- develop practical and creative music skills as an individual and through working with others
- understand the history and development of music, and its role in today’s society
- develop an appreciation of the importance of music in cultures other than Western societies
- develop students’ confidence, self-expression and imagination through the performing, composing and appraising of music
- develop a range of instrumental skills within the classroom
- extend their musical education and experience beyond the boundaries of the classroom
- have the opportunity to experience being part of larger performances, as part of a choir or music ensemble
- To have high expectations of all students attainment and personal conduct.
- To create an environment where there is an emphasis on success and potential and where all individuals and their achievements are valued and celebrated.
- To develop a broad and balanced curriculum which encompasses a wide range of learning experiences and reflects the needs of the local community.
- To continue to develop policies and systems to enable us to provide the best possible education for students.
- To establish a team spirit amongst all the staff at JRCS and visiting instrumental staff.
- To help promote JRCS in the local community in general and with primary schools in particular.
- To promote the development of outside agencies to develop the wider needs of the musical child.
- To work closely with the Community Music Service to enable individual potential to flourish.